Apr 21 2010

“Driver picks music, shotgun shuts his cakehole.” ~Dean Winchester

Published by at 11:17 pm under The Shopping Blog,Uncategorized

Ever since I hooked up with my fiance, he’s gotten me more and more interested in cars. I started watching Top Gear, and I started picking out bad cars from good cars while driving down the highway. I am not a ‘petrol head’ yet, but I’m working my way there.
So, when my friends got me hooked on the popular TV show ‘Supernatural’

I couldn’t help but notice what car the Winchester brothers drive.
A 1967 black Chevrolet Impala.

It’s sleek, it’s sexy, and its a gorgeous American muscle car. My soul is that of a middle aged man who just hit his mid-life crisis, and I seriously want this classic car. However, I had to go shopping around for one online.

I tried three websites. AutoTrader, Cars.com, and eBay.
I first went to Cars.com and selected ‘Used’, ‘Any Distance’ from my zip code and no maximum price range. I selected ‘Chevrolet’ and ‘Impala’. Cars.com brought up a long list of great looking cars, and the site even has a ‘save’ feature where you can check off the cars that fit your standards and that really helps narrow it down. The search engine is a little unorganized, and if you click the wrong thing you get your results turned around. At first I got 2009/2010 used Impalas mixed in. Cars.com runs it’s search engine like eBay, and so I went to the side bar to adjust my results.

Auto Trader Classics was a different story. You can select the maker, the car, the year and type in your zip code and it comes up with exactly what you want. I got to add cars to my favorites, a feature similar to the save feature of Cars.com. Until I actually clicked it…turns out to you need ‘sign in’ in order to use this feature.

In both cases, I decided to only save or fave cars in Pennsylvania, since I will be living in Pittsburgh.
Auto Trader Classics only came up with a lower amount of hits because their excellent search engine really narrowed it down.
I found one Mechanicsburg, PA for $1,495. With such a low price I wasn’t expecting it to be a looker. My assumptions proved to be correct and it was a piece of junk. Another was in West Chester, PA and was $74,500. This is quite a pricey car.

It’s such a pretty blue color and in such great condition. It’ll be awhile before I can amass that much money.

Cars.com however, came up with a lot of choices. I journeyed to the side bar and selected from the years 1966-1969. I got 16 hits from within ALL miles of Pittsburgh. This selection gave me more of a price range, but it seems the price really reflects the condition of the car. The lowest is around $10,000, while the highest is almost $80,000. I found none in Pennsylvania, and the closest one was 184 miles away in New York.

Through a random image search I found a site called Car Gurus. I asked for the same info as the other sites, but it also let me choose the year. It didn’t have as many results as the other sites, but at least it was more organized. It also offers a great option called “Research Used Cars”, which allows buyers to see the details on the model, average price, and reviews. It’s quite a handy tool if you want to know more about a car before you buy it and want to compare it with other classic cars.
It also amused me that the reference picture for a 1967 Chevy Impala showed the car with the Winchester boys in it.

eBay is even less organized than the other sites. You cannot type in a zip code, rather, it goes automatically by your sign in name. I got even fewer hits than on Car Gurus, and although it gives me an idea of price range (one was for $12,000, the second for $14,900 and the third for $10,400) eBay proved to be quite unhelpful.

However, I found one winner, on AutoTrader and it’s 45 minutes from where I will be living.

Alright, so it’s not black, but that can always be changed. It’s two-door coupe with a V8 engine. It’s $29,500 dollars and in excellent condition, and if I start a fund now, I can save money for it and buy it as soon as I can. It seems unrealistic, and it may not be THAT particular car I get, but it’s something I want and with some hard work (and some lessons on how to drive a manual) I can have a 1967 Chevy Impala.

My best advice for finding a used car online is 1. READ THE DETAILS. If it’s too good to be true, then it probably is. 2. Feel free to e-mail or call the seller or go visit the dealer yourself if it’s not too far away. Look the dealer up online if it’s not a private one. Make sure it’s legit. 3. Make sure you are willing to compromise. You’re not going to find THE CAR. It’s not always close, it’s not always the color you want, it’s not always the right price. Be ready to give in a little bit.
I’m willing to buy a bright gold Impala because I’ve come to adore that car. It’s fast and pretty and it would be a dream come true to own one.
Oh, and this helps.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to ““Driver picks music, shotgun shuts his cakehole.” ~Dean Winchester”

1. Melissa Steenon 26 Mar 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOU!!! Can’t say it enough… I’m also a fan of Supernatural and the Impala, I found your site when looking for info on this car and it was so helpful. Though it’s all just a dream for me and my lack of funds…. one day I’d love to own this car and, the more I learn about it, the more I want it!

2. natashaon 12 Mar 2012 at 7:37 pm

if u want the car from supernatural then you’ll want to look for a 4 door 67 impala. all these photos are of two doors. & getting it painted is fine, the one ( or should i say ones) were all painted black & are stock 67s…no luxury such as functioning radio