Feb 24 2011

The Finest in all the World

Published by at 11:19 pm under The Shopping Blog

ITEM: Steinway & Sons Chippendale (MSK 1014) Grand Piano
PRICE: $80,200 (MSRP)
WHERE TO PURCHASE: Steinway & Sons Showroom (nearest location, D.C.)

I have played the piano since I was three years old and needless to say, it’s my passion. I grew up playing on my great-Aunt’s upright that my dad inherited. Although I will never give up the memories of the long hours I spent practicing Beethoven and Brahms at that piano, I have always cherished every moment that I could play on a concert grand piano. There is something magnificient about being able to express yourself through music on something so mighty and powerful. The only times that I have ever been able to play on a grand piano were at piano competitions and in piano showrooms. I have always dreamed of owning a grand piano and have often (geekily) spent much time looking up the piano that I would buy if I won the lottery. So here it is, the very best of the best, the piano that 98% of concert pianists choose today for their performances — a Steinway & Sons piano. My personal favorite from their countless pianos is the Chippendale (MSK-1014).

In order to purchase a Steinway & Sons, you must set up an appointment at your nearest Steinway Showroom. The closest showroom to the Fredericksburg area is at Tyson’s Corner in D.C. You can browse their website for more information concerning the showroom appointments or call the gallery at: 703-388-2482. Although prices are not listed at the Steinway & Sons New York website, information concerning prices can be obtained in a visit to the showroom and through some scouring online at the piano buyer website. The latest MSRP for the Steinway & Sons Chippendale grand piano in the walnut finish is $80,200.

Yes, this may be quite the investment but remember – Steinway & Sons are the very best. Steinway builds each of the 12000 pieces of their pianos from scratch and assembles each piano by hand, thus, piano creation takes a year. Steinway & Sons have made many innovations in the piano building process. Several exclusive features exist on Steinway pianos, these features include a Diaphragmatic® soundboard, Accelerated Action® and Hexagrip® pinblock. Also, the rim of each piano consists of layers of hard rock maple and with a bell-quality, full cast-iron plate, withstands the enormous amount of tension exerted by the strings. Based on the designs of the master cabinetmaker of 18th century England, the Chippendale stands apart from the other Steinway & Sons models because of its simplistic grace and elegance. At a length of 5’7″, the Chippendale is the perfect size for in home performing. All of these features and more together create the amazing and iconic sound of a Steinway & Sons piano. The president of Steinway & Sons (New York, not Hamburg) explains many of these features and other qualities in the following video:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT8G_IfRH2w" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

If you play a Steinway & Sons piano, you will be part of a long-standing tradition and privilege. Famous and talented pianists such as Duke Ellington, Irving Berlin, Billy Joel, Harry Connick Jr., Sergei Rachmaninoff, Igor Stravinsky, and Franz Liszt have all played Steinway & Sons pianos and are now known as Steinway Artists.

Owning and playing a Steinway & Sons piano, especially a Chippendale, is a level of prestige that should be desired for any talented pianist.  

Steinway Piano’s encompass both the majesty of performance and the magnificence of sound. Hearing a Steinway helps to emphasize its greatness. Witness Duke Ellington on his own Steinway & Sons piano:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/bHRbEhLj540" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “The Finest in all the World”

1. PAUL LAUERon 26 Nov 2012 at 11:03 am

LOOKING FOR AN ESTIMATED SELLING PRICE FOR:

STEINWAY PIANO MODEL 1014 A MAHO–YEAR 1979 IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

THANK YOU

2. Xiangfei Qion 06 Jan 2013 at 8:49 pm

I’m curious how much of that goes to snobby salesperson, like Mr Charuonia from the McLean VA Store. With more than 150 years of reputation, now people walk into a Steinway store have to make the purchase in 5 minutes? Or being upset by Mr Charuonia who decides that he has become a higher form of being because he represents Steinway? I hope he does not.

3. Chelsea Smithon 13 Feb 2013 at 4:08 am

Steinway piano has been the symbol of good music in the family.  It’s still played in our grandmother’s house everytime we have a family get together. Steinway piano is really built to lasts.