Apr 17 2011

Aid and Simplicity

Published by at 8:58 pm under Uncategorized

“To live efficiently, we must live peacefully for military expenditures represent an enormous diversion of resources from meeting basic human needs.” As an International Affairs major this really struck me.  It is possible to have peace and I truly believe that, but what Elgin is saying is that you need to avert the resource that would be used in war (such as money) and put them towards helping others.  I don’t see how her ideas on simplicity comes into the idea of giving aid to others.  Yes it is relevant to the fact that there is a large gap between the rich and the poor but I think that she looses some credibility with this point.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “Aid and Simplicity”

1. camry3on 17 Apr 2011 at 9:59 pm

I’m not sure the eradication of war, although nice, is a realistic goal. Who wouldn’t want world peace? But I’m not sure simple living goes hand in hand with the perfection of human kind. After all, what about Murphy’s Law? 🙂

2. crolandon 17 Apr 2011 at 10:00 pm

I agree that Elgin’s quick statement on war was not the strongest point in the article. Though war is extremely costly, to simplify the issue to one of consumerism is a little ridiculous.