Apr 18 2011

A Path of ‘New Growth’

Published by at 6:48 pm under Uncategorized

I thought this reading was a great way to end the class because it sums up what we have read and discussed throughout the semester without leaving a negative impression. This class focused on the social, economic and psychological aspects of consumerism while leaving out a lot of environmental and global issues. I agree with the statement, “Ecological living does not imply turning away from economic progress; rather it seeks to discover which technologies are most appropriate and helpful in moving toward a sustainable future. Ecological living is not a path of ‘no growth’ but a path of ‘new growth.'” There are still ways to move forward as an industrial society without wholly existing as consumers.

One response so far

One Response to “A Path of ‘New Growth’”

1. sarahstauntonon 19 Apr 2011 at 6:12 pm

I also agree with his statement that being simpler does not mean less progress. I think about all the new ecological living houses that are coming out of the west cost which focus on the idea of simplicity and unity with the environment. http://ecosalon.com/15_inspiring_glimpses_into_the_future_of_green_housing/