Mar 11 2012

Wal-Mart

Published by at 9:34 pm under Uncategorized

Wal-Mart is a big business that started out as a ‘hometown’ business. By drawing their capital from local ‘partners’ and family members, Walton was able to gather support in just the place where many other large businesses had met fierce opposition. He knew that he had to represent the small town American Dream, not the big city ways, in order to make it. The evolution of Wal-Mart is truly an interesting story that kept my attention from the beginning to end of the book. I’ve never considered how many political, economical, and religious factors go into running a company and how many are influenced by a large company. The comparison of Wal-Mart to a church at one point in the book is interesting to me because the huge following that Wal-Mart has can definitely fit into a standard definition of religion. I have never had any experience working at Wal-Mart, but in my experiences shopping there, I observed that the ‘associates’ usually did not enjoy their time there, and were often grumpy or distracted from what they should be focused on, pleasing the customers. The book explains that Wal-Mart’s vision and mission is quite the opposite of this, and maybe it is exemplified in some stores, but certainly not any that I’ve seen.

Comments Off on Wal-Mart