Nov 30 2012

Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker

Published by at 1:34 am under Uncategorized

YouTube Preview Image

I don’t exactly know when or where it began, but somewhere along the lines, I started loving coffee. In high school, I could barely stand the smell of the freshly ground coffee beans that my mother would blend the night before an early morning departure for work. However, it was my freshman year of college at a school in New York City where I finally caved, (how could I resist while passing dozens upon dozens of opportunities to try it in a city that is certainly familiar with the product). I made the journey from mochas, to sugar and cream, to just milk, to black, and here I am now. Being a college student, I find it rather wasteful to brew an entire pot for myself only, so I’ve chosen the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker.

I do not own one of these currently, but I am certainly interested in purchasing one at some point down the road. Last year, however, I was able to use my roommates, and I fell in love with the product. This coffee maker uses 14-ounce scoops to hold ground beans and brew a single serving equivalent to either a travel mug size or a regular ceramic mug size, (depending on your preference). It brews the cup within ninety seconds, and it comes out hot, (not lukewarm). The product comes included with a mesh filter that eliminates the need for any paper filters. The coffee tastes delicious and keeps its flavor. Two added perks are that it’s quiet as it’s brewing and it automatically shuts off after each use. This product was awarded the “2012 Good Housekeeping Very Innovative Products (VIP) Award” by Good Housekeeping Research Institute. It can be purchased on Amazon.com for $59.00, Walmart for $49.96, Sears for $59.99, and Overstock.com for $25.95.

Currently, my roommates and I use a Keurig for all of our coffee needs. I, personally, am not as fond of the taste or quality of the coffee brewed by the product. The K-cups seem wasteful to me, and the coffee comes out tasting rather stale. Even the bolder blends that I purchase taste more like a regular, sub-par cups of coffee. With the Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker, I am able to have more freedom as to what coffee I use. Sometimes the Keurig comes out only slightly hot, and it takes no time at all to become cool. The Scoop Coffee Maker seems to retain the heat for longer. It certainly costs less up front and in the long run, I believe. Keurigs are sold for as much as $160.00 and as little as $99.95.

Overall, I’d say that while no single serve coffee maker is going to provide the best quality, the Hamilton Beach Single Serve Scoop Coffee Maker certainly does a fantastic job. It is an inexpensive and higher quality alternative to the popularized Keurig machines, and it is a convenient and simple solution for a single college student to get their daily coffee fix.

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS