Oct 26 2014

Cinderella Ate My Daughter

Published by at 11:12 pm under Reflection Blog

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, but Orenstein’s writing style and attentiveness to every possible situation and potential challenge facing young girls earned my respect. She jumped around from topic to topic, and each chapter could be read independently. However, her topics range from Miley Cyrus, American Girl and those with somewhat unconventional gender issues.

Miley Cyrus offers a contemporary example of a young woman who gained fame early on, and then fought for the respect and sexual appeal of woman. Instead of shaming Miley, Orenstein simply states facts, citing examples of conversations she overheard at the concert. Orenstein recognizes the debacle of being a sexual woman versus a family-oriented Disney star, and mentions that growing up so quickly was almost necessary to continue her spotlight career.

But then that leads to the issue of role models for younger girls. Obviously, the one fan who attended Miley’s concert between Hannah and Miley was disappointed, but what else are they left to look to after outgrowing American Girl? Bratz dolls? Ty Babies, who Orenstein sees as “slutty?” This demographic is certainly not left out, but pulls its consumers (or their parents) in 100 different directions. Orenstein, at the very least, does a good job of summarizing and acknowledging these directions.

Comments Off on Cinderella Ate My Daughter