Oct 26 2014

Cinderella Ate My Daughter Reflection

Published by at 6:11 pm under Reflection Blog

Reading Cinderella Ate My Daughter has opened my eyes to many new ideas that I was somewhat aware of but not entirely familiar with. Peggy Orenstein’s book was engaging and I enjoyed her stories of her daughter while connecting them to society as a whole. Shocked by some of the information that she included in her book, it is clear that society truly has a way of creating and shaping people to fit certain molds. One of the most interesting aspects of her book was the cross-cultural phenomenon where kids as young as preschool and kindergarten start self-segregating who they play with by gender. It is so crazy that our society presents us with this idea of who we should be (from a very young age) through products (Disney princesses), the media (Toddlers and Tiaras) and even books (fairytale stories/bedtime stories). As Orenstein raises her daughter she is constantly questioning if what she is exposing her to and not exposing her to is right. As if raising a child is not enough, she shares her struggles as she tries to teach her daughter more than what society tells these young girls what is right and correct. I especially liked reading the section where Orenstein talks of cross-sex friendships and that girls who have boy friends at a young age are able to relate to them better as they grow up and even into adulthood. Peggy Orenstein explains that there is nothing wrong with liking princesses or girlie-girl things but it is vital that we remember to teach young girls that that is not the only way to be feminine. This book reminded me of the children’s book Not All Princesses Wear Pink, where the author, Jane Yolen, encourages young girls to think alternatively about femininity.

Comments Off on Cinderella Ate My Daughter Reflection