Mar 19 2012

Nickel and Dimed

Published by at 12:28 am under Uncategorized

This book was really interesting. At first I was wary of the validity of the experiment, but the author set great rules for herself and really was true to the low wage way of life during her time experimenting. As someone who has worked in restaurants, a hospice, and retail, I can say her experiences were spot on. I once worked two full time jobs and attended classes full time for 8 months. I eventually was just too tired to continue, and my body would not take any more monster energy drinks, so I quit one job, and I did it much in the way she quit her jobs, let’s just say I was fed up and I let it be known. I found it interesting that 2% of working women and 4% of working men have at some point held two full time jobs. I think what the author learned, and what people who have never worked in these kinds of blue collar jobs can learn from this book is that waiters, ladies who fold clothes at Wal-Mart, and ‘dietary aides’ are people too. Intelligent, hard-working people who are doing the best they can to get by and provide for themselves and or their family. Though I don’t agree with Ehrenreich’s view on unions, she has a lot of valid points and good observations about blue collar life packed into this book, which was (thankfully) easy to read and interesting.

Comments Off on Nickel and Dimed