Apr 06 2012

Green Goodness

Published by at 9:47 am under Uncategorized

Green Goodness

Whenever someone recommends this drink, it comes with a warning:

“Don’t smell it. Don’t look at it. Just drink it.”

Of course, I don’t think anyone listens to that. As soon as I got my hands on my first bottle after it was recommended by several friends I opened it, and I smelled it, and I recoiled. EW! Green Goodness, one of many nutritional drinks offered by the company Bolthouse Farms, stinks. I reread the packaging, which states that the drink includes 8 different fruits and 14 powerful nutrients, and talked myself into drinking it. According to the Bolthouse Farms website,

“Bolthouse Farms® Green Goodness® starts with wheat grass, spirulina, spinach and blue-green algae. We add apples, kiwis, mangos, bananas, pineapples and dragon fruit to make it a good source of iron and Vitamin B6, naturally rich in Vitamins A, C, and B12, and packed with powerful phytonutrients found in nature’s most nutritious greens.

• Blend of 8 delicious juices/purees.
  • Packed with 14 powerful nutrients delivering unmatched healthy green phytonutrients.
  • No preservatives and nothing artificial.
  • Flash pasteurized and cold-filled for longer shelf life and superior nutrition.
  • 100% Juice, 100% Natural and no sugar added.
  • Gluten free.”

Ooo, spirulina, algae, and phytonutrients, why would I want to drink these things? I had to do some investigating to find out that spirulina is a micro-algae that is good for humans and animals to eat because it contains protein and all of the essential amino acids. It is proclaimed to be better than the usual plant sources of protein, but not quite as packed as meat or eggs. I also found out that blue-green algae are cyanobacteria. Who wants to eat bacteria? This particular one works as an antioxidant and has other healing properties, according to livestrong.com. Phytonutrients, the other mystery benefit of this drink, are beneficial to humans as antioxidants, considered to be some of the most efficient antioxidants and found in large concentrations in berries such as blueberries and raspberries.

Now that I’m convinced this drink is good for me, and I’ve gotten over the smell, I realize that it’s pretty good. This is my go to drink when I’m feeling a little under the weather, or I realize that it’s been days since I’ve eaten anything that can be considered a vegetable and feel like I need a boost. Green Goodness boasts a full two servings of fruits and vegetables per serving. Neatly packed into a 15.2 (2 servings), 32 oz (4 servings), or 52 oz bottle and available in the produce section of many grocery stores, it’s always easy to get my hands on this drink.

Green Goodness and other yummy Bolthouse Farms drinks are available at many stores in our area.

Target carries the drink in all sizes in Supertarget stores.
Wal-Mart carries both of the smaller sizes, but I was not able to confirm whether they carry the larger size.
Wegmans carries all sizes, with the prices listed on their website at 15.2 oz – 2/$5, 32 oz – 3.99, and 52 oz – 5.99.
Bj’s and Costco also carry Bolthouse Farms drinks, but their selection may vary by store.

Pricing seems to be cheapest at Wegmans, for those who don’t shop in bulk, and one online review cited that Costco sold a 3-32oz pack of Bolthouse Farm’s juice for 5.99. Pricing at the other stores is similar to Wegmans, between $3-4 for a small drink, $4-5 for a 32 oz, and $6-7 for the 52 oz size.

Searching online using Google – Shopping, I found that one can also purchase Green Goodness online from two different websites, http://www.groceries-express.com and http://www.allinkosher.com. Pricing is consistent with the stores, but you will pay for shipping.

Bolthouse Farms is usually merchandised right under Naked Juices at the grocery store. This competitor carries lots of similar flavors of drinks and even one called “Green Machine” which rivals the Green Goodness. I have tried this drink, and found it to be too much like baby food but with no texture. Green Goodness has a more textured feel so it’s like drinking a ‘fresh’ smoothie, where I would compare the Naked version to a melted, day old smoothie. Green Machine rivals Green Goodness in nutrition, but has a slightly different composition which includes different nutrients.

Green Goodness

Naked Green Machine

If neither of these drinks works for you, there are many recipes online that one could seek out and use to create their own foul smelling healthy drink using common fruits and vegetables. In the end, convenience and Green Goodness win for me, but I’d recommend trying both for yourself if you need a quick and yummy way to get some vitamins, fruits, and veggies all in a portable container! No fork, knife, or straw required.

Comments Off on Green Goodness